2014 Y.O.U Scholarship Contest
The mission of the Tri-Community Coalition is to work together to prevent substance abuse and related risky behavior and to promote a healthy community for our youth through education, partnerships and effective programming.
A $1,000 scholarship will be presented to a total of six students who are Berkley and Oak Park seniors and meet the following criteria:
· Has made a commitment to be drug/alcohol free.
· Has actively participated for at least one year in the Y.O.U. Chapter at their school.
· Resides in Berkley, Oak Park, or Huntington Woods or attends schools in Berkley or Oak Park.
· Must be a student with twelfth grade credits (verified by the high school contact person).
The candidate shall complete the scholarship application and essay. The requirements for the essay are:
· 3-5 pages, typed, double spaced, 12 point Times New Roman font
· Choose one of the topics below. Support the topic you choose with research and data.
· Identify what is currently being done to address the issue(s).
· Describe your ideas for dealing with this issue(s).
The topics that you can write about are as follows (please choose one):
· Youth participation in drug-free groups or programs.
· Underage drinking and access to alcohol
· Prescription drug abuse
· Role of parents in preventing underage drug and alcohol use
· Marijuana use among teens
The candidate shall obtain three letters of recommendation to submit with their application:
· Two from non-related adults
· One from a non-related peer.
The Tri-Community Coalition Scholarship Committee will decide the winners.
The Tri-Community Coalition Y.O.U. Scholarship will be presented by a TCC Board member at the 2014 Honors Convocation Nights at each school.
The recipient shall be invited to read their essay at the Tri-Community Coalition Golf Outing dinner on June 16, 2014.
The monetary sum of $1,000 will be awarded upon completion of the recipient’s senior year of high school and upon proof of registration/enrollment at a post high school educational/ vocational training institution. A check will be made payable to student and their parent/guardian.
Two signatures will be required to cash the check.